Druskininkai fontanas online dating
It was in the New Castle on November 25 of that year that the last Polish king and Lithuanian grand duke Stanisław August Poniatowski abdicated.In the Russian Empire, the city continued to serve its role as a seat of Grodno Governorate since 1801.
The city was taken over by the Polish Army the following day and Polish administration was established in the city.The city was the site of two battles, Battle of Grodno (1706) and Battle of Grodno (1708) during the Great Northern War.After the First Partition of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth, Grodno became the capital of the short-lived Grodno Voivodeship in 1793.In Latin it was known as Grodna (-ae), in Polish as Grodno and in Yiddish as גראָדנע, Grodne. The modern city of Grodno originated as a small fortress and a fortified trading outpost maintained by the Rurikid princes on the border with the lands of the Baltic tribal union of the Yotvingians. Along with Navahrudak, Grodno was regarded as the main city on the western borderlands of Black Ruthenia.The border region neighboured the Grand Duchy of Lithuania.After the outbreak of World War I, Grodno was occupied by Germany (Sept 3 1915) and ceded by Bolshevist Russia under the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk in 1918.
After the war the German government permitted a short-lived state to be set up there, the first one with a Belarusian name—the Belarusian People's Republic.
However, Soviet defeat in the Battle of Warsaw made these plans obsolete, and Lithuanian authority was never established in the city.
Instead, the Red Army organised its last stand in the city and the Battle of Neman took place there.
, see also other names) is a city in western Belarus.
It is located on the Neman close to the borders of Poland and Lithuania (about 20 km (12 mi) and 30 km (19 mi) away respectively). It is the capital of Grodno Region and Grodno District. At this year Grodno was mentioned in the Primary Chronicle as Goroden' and located at a crossing of numerous trading routes, this Slavic settlement, possibly originating as far as the late 10th century, became the capital of a poorly attested but separate principality, ruled by Yaroslav the Wise's grandson and his descendants.
The city was lost to the Red Army on July 20, 1920 in what became known as the First Battle of Grodno.