Camber sands and rye east sussex
In 1350, the Battle of Les Espagnols sur Mer was fought nearby.
New freemen are themselves chosen by existing members of the corporation.The town lends its name to the nearby seaside village of Winchelsea Beach.In 2006 a group of local residents requested Rother District Council to review the parishing arrangements of Icklesham, with a view to creating a separate Winchelsea Parish.The first floor is now a museum, full of relics of the history of Winchelsea, the Corporation, and a model of the town.Nearby is the town well, dug in 1851 to save water being carried up the hill. At the foot of Strand Hill stands the town workhouse Strand House just behind the port area of Winchelsea which runs along the river bank on the far side of the main road.The names of the town planners are recorded as Henry le Waleys and Thomas Alard.
The new town inherited the title of "Antient Town" from Old Winchelsea and retained its affiliation to the Cinque Ports confederation together with Rye and the five head-ports.
Camber Castle was built by Henry VIII in the early 16th century halfway between Winchelsea and Rye to guard the approach to the Camber.
Much of the stone used in its construction may have been taken from the demolition of the Franciscan monastery of Greyfriars.
The Parish of Winchelsea Action Group submitted a petition in favour from 228 electors.
Other survey and polling evidence suggest the residents of Winchelsea are in favour by a majority of up to 2–1, but that the remainder of Icklesham parish was against the idea by a wide margin.
In the 13th century, it became famous in the wine trade from Gascony.